Sunday, April 3, 2011

Firefly: A TV/DVD Review

Science fiction on television, for me means Star Trek!  I watched The Original Series, TNG, Voyager, DS9, and Enterprise.   And because I loved them so much I sometimes skipped other attempts at science fiction on TV.  I did watch others like The Twilight Zone , The Outer Limits, Lost in Space, Battlestar Galactica(the first one), Heroes  and a few others.
One series that completely missed my TV viewing radar was Firefly. Firefly is an American space western television series created by writer and director Joss Whedon, creator of Buffy the Vampire SlayerThe series is set in the year 2517, after the arrival of humans in a new star system, and follows the adventures of the renegade crew of Serenity, a "Firefly-class" spaceship. The ensemble cast portrays the nine characters that live on Serenity.

Firefly premiered in the United States and Canada on the Fox network on September 20, 2002. The show is currently airing reruns on the Science Channel.  That is where I am, for the first time watching this show.  Cecelia and I were watching the Science Channel and we saw a promo for the show.  The star of Firefly is Nathan Fillion as Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds.  Nathan Fillion is also currently starring in one of our favorite shows, Castle.  Because we like Castle and Nathan Fillion so much, we made a point of watching Firefly.

We are so glad we did.  We are hooked.  In fact, we purchased the DVD set of all 14 of the episodes.  (See the Links below to purchase yours.)  We watched all of the shows over a weekend.   It’s really too bad that the show was cancelled after only 14 shows.  Each character was growing with each episode.

Capt. Reynolds is a wonderful character to watch.  If you are a fan of Castle, you will see a lot of Rich Castle in Reynolds.  But when you watch Castle, you really don’t see Reynolds as part of the Castle character. 

The other character of note for me is Kaywinnit Lee "Kaylee" Frye—the ship's mechanic played by Jewel Staite . She has no formal training as a mechanic, but keeps Serenity running with an intuitive gift for the workings of mechanical equipment.  Kaylee's character is wholesome, sweet, and completely genuine in that sweetness.  She loves being on that ship. 

Firefly is broadcast Sunday evenings on the Science Channel..NOT the Science Fiction Channel (SyFy).  Enjoy.
Damn, I still don't have a cute gimmick to show how much I liked this show.  I don’t want to use Stars or whatever.  I will have to think on this.  So in the mean time, I give it a 58.

2 comments:

  1. I was much the same way, missed the original run much as you did. Suggestion. If enough people like the old show, and if popular demand could bring Star Trek back over and over again, I see no reason that couldn't work here as well. Though I don't know if they could get the same cast, or the same director. Still, the Serenity could fly again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firefly is great. Love Gina Torres!

    ReplyDelete